Step into the minds of investors with this excerpt of Sygnum’s institutional investor crypto survey report, Future Finance 23, as we unravel their risk appetite, investment motivations and future plans in the crypto market.
How would you describe your crypto asset risk appetite?
- 60 percent of respondents exhibit a high risk appetite towards crypto assets. This indicates that the 89 percent of “crypto activated” respondents are generally more comfortable with its high-risk nature. Yet, a notable 30 percent have a neutral risk tolerance, suggesting a level of caution even among crypto activated investors.
- Respondents not currently investing in crypto assets (11 percent) lean towards caution, with most indicating a neutral to low risk tolerance. This suggests a conservative approach to the crypto market’s risks or a possible lower level of understanding or current engagement.
Why do you invest in crypto assets?
- 66 percent of respondents invest in crypto to gain exposure to the crypto megatrend, indicating a preference to capitalise on long-term value over short-term trading.
- 46 percent cited portfolio diversification as an investment driver. This illustrates ongoing institutional adoption and growth of hybrid traditional-crypto portfolios, as well as a deepening knowledge of blockchain technologies.
- The research reflects Bitcoin’s narrative as a safe haven asset and macro hedge. Current high levels of economic uncertainty may be reinforcing this trend.
- Despite the return of high interest rates, 38 percent of respondents view yield generation as a value driver for crypto asset investment.
What are your future crypto allocation plans?
- 57 percent of respondents plan to increase their crypto asset allocation in the future. This illustrates positive long-term sentiment and pent-up buying pressure – despite notable CeFi drawbacks and macroeconomic and regulatory uncertainty.
- The 38 percent who plan to maintain their allocation may be waiting for further market confirmation or optimal timing to make increased allocations. Irrespective of their strategy or market conditions, related research datapoints show that over 50 percent of these respondents are expected to shift from neutral to bullish by next year, indicating that sentiment may change rapidly as market conditions improve.
Sign up for Future Finance
Join our 40,000 strong global community to future proof your investments. Sign up now to be the first to receive our news, product launches, industry reports and educational series.
This document is purely for educational purposes and has been issued by Sygnum Bank AG. It is not intended for distribution, publication, or use in any jurisdiction where such distribution, publication, or use would be unlawful, nor is it aimed at any person or entity to whom it would be unlawful to address such a marketing communication. It does not constitute an offer or a recommendation to subscribe, purchase, sell or hold any security or financial instrument. It contains the opinions of Sygnum Bank AG, as at the date of issue. These opinions and the information contained herein do not take into account an individual‘s specific circumstances, objectives, or needs. No representation is made that any investment or strategy is suitable or appropriate to individual circumstances or that any investment or strategy constitutes personalised investment advice to any investor. Therefore, you must verify the above and all other information provided in the document or otherwise review it with your external advisors. Some investment products and services, including custody, may be subject to legal restrictions or may not be available worldwide on an unrestricted basis. The information and analysis contained herein are based on sources considered as reliable. Sygnum Bank AG uses its best efforts to ensure the timeliness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness of the information contained in this document. Nevertheless, all information indicated herein may change without notice.